[quagga-users 8133] Re: OSPFd for unnumbered PPP links

Andrew J. Schorr aschorr at telemetry-investments.com
Mon Mar 12 22:54:57 GMT 2007

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 13, 2007 at 11:33:33AM +1100, Daniel Ng wrote:
> You mentioned in a previous post on quagga-users that OSPFd doesn't support more than one PPP link between the same 2 nodes.

That's certainly not what I meant to say.  My understanding is that ospfd
will not support more than one UNNUMBERED link between the same two hosts.
But if you assign distinct addresses to the links, then it should work.
In my experience, it's generally not a problem to carve out a /30 (or even /31)
subnet from RFC 1918 private address space and assign it to the link.  Will
that work for you?

> What would it take to have this feature implemented ASAP? I guess I could ask someone to do it, or I could do it myself. How complicated would it be? How much of the Quagga insides would I have to learn?

If you really need multiple unnumbered links between the same 2 hosts,
then I guess it shouldn't be too awful.  I'm not sure, but I suspect
you may not need to touch zebra at all.  Most, if not all, of the work
would be in ospfd, and it may just be a matter of reviewing the RFC
and finding the places where the ifindex should be used for unnumbered
links, and going through the ospfd code and fixing those spots.

Regards,
Andy

P.S. Please keep communications on the email lists.  It's good to have
a record in the archives and to give other people a chance to jump in
with good advice.