[quagga-users 8137] Re: OSPF on unnumbered PPP links

Andrew J. Schorr aschorr at telemetry-investments.com
Tue Mar 13 09:27:39 GMT 2007

On Tue, Mar 13, 2007 at 07:08:56AM +0000, Daniel Ng wrote:
> !!! DO THE BELOW 2 LINES MAKE A DIFFERENCE????
> interface eth0
> interface ppp3

No, quagga should auto-detect the interfaces from the operating
system, so no need to name them here.  Adding interface commands
is useful only if you want to use interface subcommands to set
various relevant features of the interface.

> > Yes, try using "passive-interface default", then specify
> > "no passive-interface <interface_name>" for all interfaces that you
> > want ospf to run on, and then throw in a very broad "network"
> > command that matches everything.
>
> The config file parser doesn't seem to like that command-
>
> Starting ospfd: There is no such command.
> Error occured during reading below line.
> passive-interface default

This is under quagga 0.99.6?  Are you putting the command
in the proper place?  It's an ospf router subcommand,
so it needs to be in the section that starts "router ospf".

> Also, I guess the above command stops OSPF Hello Packets from being sent out
> all interfaces by default. But what if I don't want the interface to be
> advertised at all? Is there a way to stop advertisement of these interfaces?

Then you'll need to specify your network commands carefully to avoid
including interfaces that you don't want advertised.

Regards,
Andy