[quagga-users 9270] Re: Quagga monitoring for abnormal crash/stop

Andrew J. Schorr aschorr at telemetry-investments.com
Wed Jan 9 10:07:31 GMT 2008

Hi Sim,

On Wed, Jan 09, 2008 at 03:10:56PM +0100, Sim wrote:
> I have configured two Quagga server (Active/Passive) with Linux
> HeartBeat 2.x (HA).
> The hardware is now redunded, but I haven't way to monitor the correct
> work of Quagga.
> What I can check for detect Quagga crash?
> If I check the Quagga process, I'm not sure that terminate when it crash.
> I can't also check "ip route" added by "proto zebra" because a "kill
> -9 zebra bgpd" (for example) doesn't flush rules.
> If at someone of you happened to have a crash, could you please
> describe the status of daemon/tcp ports?

Please take a look at watchquagga.  The documentation is available
by entering 'watchquagga --help'.   As an example, I use this command
on one of my linux routers:

/usr/sbin/watchquagga -d -Az -b_ -r/sbin/service_%s_restart \
   -s/sbin/service_%s_start -k/sbin/service_%s_stop zebra ospfd bgpd ripd

I think watchquagga may help with some of your concerns
(but perhaps not all).

Regards,
Andy