[quagga-users 9946] "Redirect host" on routed subnet

Stephen Marsh Name stephen at stephen.marsh.name
Sat Sep 27 18:54:56 IST 2008

Hi all,

I'm hoping you can help with a strange problem I'm having. I have a primary
subnet and gateway attached to a VLAN interface on my Quagga system, which
routes as one would expect. I then have a further subnet and gateway which I
also want to reside within the same VLAN on the Quagga system, and I've
bound the gateway by adding it with "ip addr add <ip>/24 dev <iface>", and
have set up the appropriate route. It works, except for the fact that the
ping times are marginally higher (~0.5ms) than the primary subnet, and when
pinging from other machines, I get this repeatedly:

icmp_seq=7 Redirect Host(New nexthop: ... etc

Any advice on how to set up a "proper" secondary subnet which routes as the
primary does would be appreciated - thanks!

Regards,
Stephen Marsh