[quagga-users 11246] bgp question

Stephan von Krawczynski skraw at ithnet.com
Fri Dec 11 14:11:18 GMT 2009

Hi all,

I ran into a problem lately that is possibly caused by too little sleep ;-)
Setup:

<r1> - <some router> - <r2> - <r3> - <the world>

r1,r2,r3 are all part of AS 1, all quagga, all with bgpd
<some router> is a simple box with static routes (a ebgp-multihop setup).

r1 tries to announce a network 192.168.1.0/24 to r2 which should again
announce it to r3 and r3 to <the world>.
The problem arises at r2.
If I add a
	network 192.168.1.0/24
	redistribute connected
to r2's config then it announces the net to r3, but it does not enter the route
in the kernels' routing table. So routing does not work.
if I add a
	redistribute connected
to r2's config then it does not announce the net to r3, but enters the route
in the kernels' routing table. Routing does work, but <the world> does not
know the net.
All setup is quagga 0.99.12 btw.
What did I miss here? I judged this to be a trivial setup, but ... ?

Stephan