[quagga-users 10921] Re: IPv6 BGP session down.

Jan Hugo Prins jhp at jhprins.org
Thu Jul 16 07:39:51 IST 2009

Steve Bertrand wrote:
> Jan Hugo Prins wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I have 2 BGP routers on my edge, and one of them is currently having a
>> IPv6 transit connection.
>> The other BGP router in the same AS has a BGP session on IPv6 to this
>> first BGP router (iBGP ?) and this way, he also has all the IPv6 routes.
>> Last week I noticed that I had a IPv6 routing issue and when I checked
>> nagios, the IPv6 BGP session between the 2 edge routers was down. It is
>> not in production yet, but the IPv4 part is so I didn't want to restart
>> the BGP daemons.
>> The only fix I then had was removing the configuration from the config
>> and putting it back in. That brought the session back up and everything
>> worked again.
>>
>> I'm running Quagga 0.99.12.
>> The only thing I saw in the logfile at that moment was:
>> 2009/07/14 10:45:48 BGP: %NOTIFICATION: sent to neighbor
>> 2a02:b70:0:503::3 4/0 (Hold Timer Expired) 0 bytes
>>

> Show the relevant config pieces for IPv6 on both routers.

Router 1:
router bgp 48972
 no synchronization
 bgp router-id 95.130.232.2
 bgp log-neighbor-changes
 neighbor 2a02:b70:0:503::3 remote-as 48972
 no neighbor 2a02:b70:0:503::3 activate

 address-family ipv6
 network 2a02:b70::/32
 neighbor 2a02:b70:0:503::3 activate
 exit-address-family

Router 2:
router bgp 48972
 no synchronization
 bgp router-id 95.130.232.3
 bgp log-neighbor-changes
 neighbor 2a02:b70:0:503::2 remote-as 48972
 no neighbor 2a02:b70:0:503::2 activate

 address-family ipv6
 network 2a02:b70::/32
 neighbor 2a02:b70:0:503::2 activate
 exit-address-family

> Do the routers in the same AS peer via loopback?

What do you mean by "peer via loopback" ?
Both routers are in the same AS and the IP addresses they use for
peering with each other are on the interface in the peering vlan.

Jan Hugo