[quagga-users 11289] Re: Stupid BGP question / problem

Steve Bertrand steve at ibctech.ca
Mon Jan 4 21:14:37 GMT 2010

John Brown wrote:
> Happy New Year folks,
>
> I say this is stupid because it is probably a simple setting or I'm
> forgetting something..
>
> Here is the environment.
>
> 1 Cisco 7507 router running BGP
>
> 2 Dell 2850's running FreeBSD / Quagga (latest version)
>

> Cisco ---> Dell-01 <----- Another Provider #1
>            Dell-02 <----- Another Provider #2
>
> Cisco, Dell-01 and Dell-02 are all in the same ASN

> Provider 1 and 2 are different providers
>

> I can bring BGP up from Cisco to Dell-01 (iBGP)
> I can bring BGP up from Dell-01 to Dell-02 (iBGP)
>
> The providers all come up as well (eBGP)
>
> The issue is that routes announced by Cisco to Dell-01 DO NOT propagate
> to Dell-02

If the diagram above is really your setup, then iBGP-learnt routes from
Cisco to Dell-01 will not be sent from Dell-01 to Dell-02.

In order to make this work, you either need to create a full mesh of
your iBGP speakers (ie. Cisco will need to be peered with both of the
Dell boxes), or Dell-01 will need to become a reflector.

What is your Cisco's purpose in this case, and why is it off in the
corner, only peering with one Dell?

Steve