[quagga-users 11295] Re: Stupid BGP question / problem

Alexis Rosen quagga-users at alexis.users.panix.com
Tue Jan 5 01:38:39 GMT 2010

We just talked about this in the last couple of weeks. This is a low-
volume list so you should just look back for that discussion for info
on confederations, if you decide to go that way...

On Jan 4, 2010, at 4:14 PM, Steve Bertrand wrote:
> If the diagram above is really your setup, then iBGP-learnt routes
> from
> Cisco to Dell-01 will not be sent from Dell-01 to Dell-02.
>
> In order to make this work, you either need to create a full mesh of
> your iBGP speakers (ie. Cisco will need to be peered with both of the
> Dell boxes), or Dell-01 will need to become a reflector.

Or, use confederations. For my applications, confederations work
better. For yours, it doesn't matter since it's a temporary setup
anyway. You may want to look into them though, just so you know what
options are available to you in the future, if you need to run a non-
mesh setup later. (Common scenarios for that include stub PoPs that
still need BGP info because clients need full routes, etc.)

/a