[quagga-users 11303] Re: very newbish question regarding netwok discovery

Kurt Buff kurt.buff at gmail.com
Sun Jan 10 20:07:17 GMT 2010

On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 11:42, Christopher Barry
<christopher.barry at rackwareinc.com> wrote:
> Greetings all,
>
> This is my fist post to this group.
>
> My question is around a use of Quagga, and potentially OSPF that is
> likely very non-standard.
>
> Use Case:
> A compute system with multiple interfaces whose attached networks are
> not known is temporarily booted with a special Linux image running
> (potentially) quagga.
>
> This Linux image would use OSPF (or some other protocol) to determine
> what networks each interface was attached to. Ideally, no IP addresses
> would be configured on the system during this process. Scripts would
> record this information (e.g. the system interface/attached subnet
> pairing) for future understanding about the system's network
> connectivity.
>
> Is this use case even remotely possible? And if so, can anyone here give
> me some advice on where to begin to implement such a system?
>

> Thanks,
> -Christopher

I see four possibilities:

1) Ask for IP addresses, and see if you can get your data.

2) Start listening to broadcasts on each NIC, and characterize the subnets

3) Start sending all ones broadcasts on each NIC and see what replies you get

4) start blasting MAC addresses to each connection in the hopes of
flooding the tables on the connected devices and start looking at the
traffic that comes through on each NIC

I don't think you need a routing package for any of that, unless I'm
missing something fundamental.

Kurt