[quagga-users 11395] Re: Connected route

Alexis Rosen quagga-users at alexis.users.panix.com
Fri Mar 5 09:29:55 GMT 2010

On Mar 4, 2010, at 8:20 AM, Dragos Ilie wrote:
> What is a connected route in Quagga? My intuition tells me that the
> destination node is directly connected to a local interface (1 hop
> away). Is this correct?
>
> Also, I am not clear about the distinction between static/connected
> routes and kernel routes. Aren't static/connected routes automatically
> inserted into the kernel? If that is true, then doesn't "redistribute
> kernel" redistribute static and connected routes as well?

I recall thinking that this wasn't well documented.

My understanding is that connected routes are as you describe. (Subinterfaces too.) "Kernel" routes are static routes that Quagga learned from the Kernel route table (and not connected routes, which it learns a different way). So, to clarify your thinking, stop grouping "static/connected". And the difference between static and kernel is that the former are created by Quagga, and the latter aren't.

/a