[quagga-users 12327] Re: R: Re: OSPF configuration with /32 IP addresses

Hirsch, Stephen Stephen.Hirsch at oriongroup.co.nz
Mon Jun 6 11:39:37 IST 2011

We have an OSPF network which has a lot of Ethernet WAN links
which are effectively point to point - there's only 2 interfaces on the
link - we configured them as /30's and put each one in a separate
subnet - it's a pain configuring them and keeping track of all of
them.

It is obviously possible to use unnumbered serial interfaces where
the serial interface borrows the IP address of another router
interface - the loopback usually being the safest - and then run
PPP over the link with the interface being configured as 'pointopoint'
in OSPF.

Now whether it is possible to do this with a pair of Ethernet
interfaces I am not sure - Mr.Google wasn't much help. Unless
someone has tried this and got it to work it sounds like some trial
and error configuration would be required.

If this worked would this solve your problem?

Regards
Stephen