[quagga-users 12548] Re: bgp - quagga-0.99.18

Alexis Rosen quagga-users at alexis.users.panix.com
Sun Nov 6 20:52:47 GMT 2011

On Oct 23, 2011, at 9:15 PM, Ingo Flaschberger wrote:
> with the core2-quad and desktop intel e1000 cards (it's an appliance) I'm able to move 400kpps / 200mbit 64-byte packets;
> with server-cards, especially 10gige cards 1mpps should be possible.

Right now, with a modern kernel on a mid-range E3 quad-core Xeon, using an 82576 multiqueue ethernet card, you can handle a full gigabit ethernet of minimum-sized packets, with a bit of CPU left over for random other stuff. You don't need a 10gig card, though it would return some CPU to you for other uses. OTOH, it might make more sense to invest that money in a hexacore chip instead. I like being hardware limited to 1gbps on those interfaces, so I know that a DDoS can't take down the router. If you really need more bandwidth than that, you still need a Cisco or Juniper (unless you're in a "safe" environment).

> check also manpage of network card (rx/tx buffer tuning) and:
> net.isr.maxthreads=
> net.isr.bindthreads=
> net.inet.ip.intr_queue_maxlen=

Be careful what you do with buffers. See http://www.bufferbloat.net/ if you don't understand how big buffers can be bad.  I have to admit, I am not yet satisfied with how we're handling buffering, and I'd like a dynamic solution. However, in practice, we seem to be doing OK.

/a