[quagga-users 12550] Re: bgp - quagga-0.99.18

Nick Hilliard nick at inex.ie
Mon Nov 7 10:39:41 GMT 2011

On 06/11/2011 20:52, Alexis Rosen wrote:
> Be careful what you do with buffers. See http://www.bufferbloat.net/ if
> you don't understand how big buffers can be bad.  I have to admit, I am
> not yet satisfied with how we're handling buffering, and I'd like a
> dynamic solution. However, in practice, we seem to be doing OK.

bufferbloat.net rails on about stupidly large buffers, i.e. several seconds
worth of buffering that you would get in CPE devices.  For a core router
interface running at 1G/10G, if you're pushing more than 100-150ms on any
particular queue, then that queue is too large.  FreeBSD will not buffer
that much by default.

Nick