[quagga-users 12456] Re: Automatically influence the Linux Routing Metric of Directluy-Connected routes?

Hirsch, Stephen Stephen.Hirsch at oriongroup.co.nz
Thu Sep 8 04:04:49 IST 2011

I had a  similar problem with two Quagga routers on separate switches on a
common LAN trying to access a main and backup firewall interface that could
appear on either LAN segment. If the link between the two LAN segments
failed, the two routers would both still think they had a valid route to, and would
both continue to advertise a route to the LAN even though each router could
only access part of the LAN.

For traffic from either router destined for interfaces (other than the other router)
on the LAN, if the destination interface was on the other side of the split in the
LAN, it would get dropped into a black hole. The two routers knew they couldn't
see each other since they couldn't see each other's Hello's but that didn't help
with routing to other interfaces on the LAN.

Routing protocols do not handle discontinuous LANS very well in some
circumstances.

I solved my problem by writing a simple script which runs as a daemon on each
router and periodically pings the firewall interface to make sure it can still see it.
If it can't it raises the route cost to the local LAN which forces all the inbound
LAN traffic to the other router which hopefully has the active firewall interface
on it.

You might be able to do something similar.

Regards
Stephen