[quagga-users 12984] ppp vs ethernet adjacencies

maxd at inwind.it maxd at inwind.it
Mon Oct 15 11:26:53 BST 2012

Hi guys,
I am using OSPFv3 on an IPv6 network. Nodes have both PPP links (over rs232)
and ETH links.
To explain the behaviour I have observed, let's suppose we have two nodes, A
and B, connected by a link.
Both nodes have global and link local ipv6 addresses. Let's indicate with
<GlobalB> and <LinkB> respectively the global address (2000:xxxx) and link-
local address (ff80:xxxx) of node B.
In case the link is Ethernet, node A will have in its routing table these
entries:
-ff80::/64 dev eth0
-<GlobalB> dev eth0
In case the link is PPP, node A will have in its routing table these entries:
-ff80::/64 dev ppp0
-<GlobalB> via <LinkB> dev ppp0

Do you know why <GlobalB> is seen as directly connected on the link in
Ethernet, whereas it must be reached through <LinkB> using PPP? Notice that the
metric is also different; in ethernet the cost is 1, whereas in ppp it is 2.
Is there a way to have on ppp the same behaviour as in ethernet?

Thanks for your help,
Massimiliano