[quagga-users 12959] Re: Queries regarding OSPFv3 area support

Tore Anderson tore.anderson at redpill-linpro.com
Wed Sep 5 15:45:26 BST 2012

* Eric S. Johnson

> What quagga version/fork are you running? I did experiments
> with quagga-0.99.21 back in May and had a problem which
> was related to inter-area propogation of ASE default route.

Quagga 0.99.20, Ubuntu/Debian packaging. I've been running Quagga for
years, so I've been through many older versions as well. But I've never
had any problems with Quagga's OSPFv3 not having support for areas. I'm
not sure how such an implementation could form any neighbor adjacency at
all - isn't the area ID a mandatory field in all OSPFv3 packets?

> I got a couple direct responces from folks who said "yeah
> quagga ospfv3 is kinda broken and someone needs to fix it".

Indeed. I have stability problems with Quagga's OSPFv3 and also
frequently experience that the default route gets removed from the
kernel's routing table - it especially seems to happen if some other
router elsewhere in the area leaves/joins the topology. Also I'm missing
NSSA support and something along the lines of "passive-interface
default" (to avoid having to manually enabling OSPFv3 on every
individual interface).

Therefore I'm currently migrating to BIRD6 for OSPFv3, and I'm very
happy so far.

--
Tore Anderson
Redpill Linpro AS - http://www.redpill-linpro.com