[quagga-users 12966] bgpd "dump routes-mrt" not in Documentation.

Mark Deazley mdeazley at sevone.com
Fri Sep 21 16:47:22 BST 2012

Background: I'm a relative Quagga/bgpd newb. We are using the
quagga-0.99.20 bgpd 'dump' command to write a RIB file which we import into
our NMS product using the ripencc-bgpdump-1.4.99.13 library.

Everything works, but I have documentation confusion...

The bgpd configuration that was supplied to me works fine, and contains:

--cut--
dump bgp routes-mrt /var/bgp/rib.bin 600
--cut--

The issue I have is the documentation about the dump command syntax at...

http://www.nongnu.org/quagga/docs/docs-info.html#SEC113

...states the command is "dump bgp routes path]" as shown below, whereas
the working example I have suggests "dump bgp routes-mrt <path>
[<interval>]", as shown above:

--cut--
9.15 Dump BGP packets and table

Command: dump bgp all path
Command: dump bgp all path interval
Dump all BGP packet and events to path file.

Command: dump bgp updates path
Command: dump bgp updates path interval
Dump BGP updates to path file.

Command: dump bgp routes path
Command: dump bgp routes path
Dump whole BGP routing table to path. This is heavy process.
--cut--

Examining the quagga-0.99.20 distribution source code in bgp_dump.c lines
775-807 , I see:

--cut--
DEFUN (dump_bgp_routes,
       dump_bgp_routes_cmd,
       "dump bgp routes-mrt PATH",
       "Dump packet\n"
       "BGP packet dump\n"
       "Dump whole BGP routing table\n"
       "Output filename\n")
{
  return bgp_dump_set (vty, &bgp_dump_routes, BGP_DUMP_ROUTES, argv[0],
NULL);
}

DEFUN (dump_bgp_routes_interval,
       dump_bgp_routes_interval_cmd,
       "dump bgp routes-mrt PATH INTERVAL",
       "Dump packet\n"
       "BGP packet dump\n"
       "Dump whole BGP routing table\n"
       "Output filename\n"
       "Interval of output\n")
{
  return bgp_dump_set (vty, &bgp_dump_routes, BGP_DUMP_ROUTES, argv[0],
argv[1]);
}

DEFUN (no_dump_bgp_routes,
       no_dump_bgp_routes_cmd,
       "no dump bgp routes-mrt [PATH] [INTERVAL]",
       NO_STR
       "Dump packet\n"
       "BGP packet dump\n"
       "Dump whole BGP routing table\n")
{
  return bgp_dump_unset (vty, &bgp_dump_routes);
}
--cut--

Which says to me the command is "routes-mrt" with a required path and an
optional interval, which conflicts with the documentation saying "routes"
with a required path and no interval.

Am I correct? If not where did I miss the boat?

MJD

--
Mark Deazley
mdeazley at sevone.com