[quagga-users 12969] Re: Queries regarding OSPFv3 area support

Tore Anderson tore.anderson at redpill-linpro.com
Fri Sep 28 09:15:08 BST 2012

* Harald Kapper

> Do you run quagga and bird6 in parallel?

Yes, Quagga ospfd for OSPFv6, bird6 for OSPFv3 - for now, at least. This
is just a matter of not starting Quagga ospf6d, you don't need any
special config.

Considering also changing Quagga ospfd for bird, because editing a
config file and SIGHUP-ing the daemon fits much better into our
configuration management system Puppet than the vtysh stuff. But since
Quagga's ospfd work quite well for us, no rush.

Astonishingly enough, BIRD/BIRD6 does not support IP addressing, so
we're using Quagga zebra for that (both IPv4 and IPv6). This also means
that if we were to replace all the Quagga routing protocol daemons with
BIRD/BIRD6, we'd still need to keep Quagga zebra around for this purpose.

Best regards,
--
Tore Anderson
Redpill Linpro AS - http://www.redpill-linpro.com