[quagga-users 12971] Re: Queries regarding OSPFv3 area support

Tore Anderson tore.anderson at redpill-linpro.com
Fri Sep 28 10:18:57 BST 2012

* Nick Hilliard
> On 28/09/2012 10:15, Tore Anderson wrote:
>> Astonishingly enough, BIRD/BIRD6 does not support IP addressing
>
> not astonishing - BIRD is a pure RIB management system like openbgpd,
> openospf, routed, gated, etc.  Quagga and xorp are the exceptions here.

...and Vyatta, and JUNOS, and IOS, and XOS, and the list goes on and on.
With the exception of BIRD, every single router or routing software
package I have and have ever had in my network supports IP addressing.

In my opinion, setting up IP addresses on interfaces is a rather
essential part of a complete router implementation, so I do find it
rather astonishing that BIRD does not. YMMV, obviously.

--
Tore Anderson
Redpill Linpro AS - http://www.redpill-linpro.com