[quagga-users 12972] Re: Queries regarding OSPFv3 area support

Nick Hilliard nick at inex.ie
Fri Sep 28 10:27:11 BST 2012

On 28/09/2012 11:18, Tore Anderson wrote:
> ...and Vyatta,

... which uses quagga on the back end and some form of xorp on the front,
unless I'm mistaken.

> and JUNOS, and IOS, and XOS,

and Ironware, AOS and so many others, but these are not rib management
systems - they are dedicated router operating systems.  I know the history
and lineage of junos (gated + freebsd + non-freebsd forwarding engine), but
at this stage it is effectively a router o/s.  Same with IOX (XR on QNX).

> In my opinion, setting up IP addresses on interfaces is a rather
> essential part of a complete router implementation, so I do find it
> rather astonishing that BIRD does not. YMMV, obviously.

BIRD is very cool and I love using it, but I'm not unhappy that it isn't
interested in configuring interfaces.

Nick