[quagga-users 13256] question regarding metric and distance in the rib

Bin Zhou binzhou at ruggedcom.com
Thu Apr 25 19:06:46 BST 2013

Hi,

I have a question about the metric and distance defined in Zebra rib
data structure.

struct rib
{
   /* Metric */
   u_int32_t metric;

   /* Distance. */
   u_char distance;
}

Both of them are used for route selection. But only metric is written to
the RMA_PRIORITY field in Linux kernel. For protocols that only
configure distance, the distance value does not pass to kernel. The
RMA_PRIORITY field of this route will be 0 in this case, because the
metric is zero. For example, static routes configured from zebra always
end up with zero metric.

Some other protocols (outside of quagga) might depend on the metric of a
route read from the RMA_PRIORITY field at kernel. We have a PIMD
implementation, which reads such metric from kernel. It always read "0"
for static routes. The static routes then become the least preferred
routes. This causes wrong route calculation.

One workaround is proposed to write the distance value to the kernel if
the metric is "0". It seems reasonable to me because the distance is the
only metric used in route selection (at zebra). Will this cause any
problem? Please correct me if you see any potential issue.

Thanks in advance for your response.

Bin Zhou