[quagga-users 13453] Re: OSPF with Quagga and CARP - Problem with NextHop

Christian Franke nobody at nowhere.ws
Wed Sep 25 22:34:11 BST 2013

On 09/25/2013 09:42 PM, Andre Luiz Paiz - Instituto de Química -
> Does anyone have an idea about this? Should I offer a better metric from the
> backup? But if I do that, I believe that the failback will not work.

It's a bit hard to tell from the information you provided. To debug that
you may want to have a look into the OSPF LDSB. (You can do that with
"show ip ospf database", you can also display more detailed information
by specifying the LSA type there)

> When QUAGGA is off on the master, shouldn't the neighbours know that the old
> nexthop don´t exist anymore?

The information that was advertised by your failed master may be kept by
the other OSPF routers for up to one hour, that is to save some update
traffic should your master come back online during that timeframe.

However, the neighbors should notice that your master has failed as it's
no longer sending hello-packets. They will propagate that information
through the OSPF domain and all routers should update their routing
table accordingly.

-Christian