[quagga-users 13457] Re: RES: RES: Re: OSPF with Quagga and CARP - Problem with NextHop

Alexis Rosen quagga-users at alexis.users.panix.com
Fri Sep 27 00:01:28 BST 2013

On Sep 26, 2013, at 8:12 AM, Andre Luiz Paiz - Instituto de Química - Unicamp <andre.paiz at iqm.unicamp.br> wrote:
> Hi, thanks for the answer.
> If I set up CARP on the external interface, configure the same settings in
> quagga for both servers and only starts the service when backup becomes
> master, will work?

I don't know. You haven't provided enough info. But it's worth a shot. If it doesn't I can vaguely imagine it being an issue where both of your routers look like the same router to the upstream. If that's the case, it might work to make the sequence when switching to backup "start OSPF, stop OSPF, start OSPF again" as that will cause your peer to drop all your routes with their incorrect next-hop. But this may be wrong - I don't remember this well enough to be sure.

> If I run CARP on the WAN interface, will quagga point advertised routes to
> my virtual IP? If yes, I guess that will be my choice.

If you make that the interface it uses, why wouldn't it? (I don't use CARP so I can't tell you for sure.)

/a