[quagga-users 13971] keeps losing ospf distributed default route

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Wed Apr 22 15:06:40 BST 2015

Hi,

I have quagga running on a number of different versions on different
OSes around my network and while it's stable everywhere, on my Fedora 21
machine it seems to lose the default route frequently.

The machine with the default route for the network is an Openwrt router
running quagga 0.99.22.3[-1] with the following configuration:

root at gw# cat /etc/quagga/ospfd.conf
hostname gw
password *******
enable password *******
!
access-list vty permit 127.0.0.0/8
access-list vty deny any
!
line vty
 access-class vty

router ospf
    ospf router-id 10.75.22.254
    network 10.75.22.0/24 area 0

    redistribute connected
    redistribute kernel
    redistribute static
!
    default-information originate always metric 50

root at gw# cat /etc/quagga/zebra.conf
password ******
!
access-list vty permit 127.0.0.0/8
access-list vty deny any
!
line vty
 access-class vty

The Fedora 21 machine (which is losing the default route frequently) is
running quagga-0.99.22.4[-6.fc21] and has the following configuration:

root at pc# cat /etc/quagga/zebra.conf
hostname pc.example.com
password *****
enable password *****
# example static route
#ip route 192.168.99.0/24 10.75.22.3
log stdout

root at pc# cat /etc/quagga/ospfd.conf
! -*- ospf -*-
!
! OSPFd sample configuration file
!
!
hostname ospfd
password ******
enable password *****
!
router ospf
   ospf router-id 10.75.22.1
   network 10.75.22.0/24 area 0
!   network 192.168.0.0/24 area 1
!
redistribute connected
!
!log stdout

Several Ubuntu LTS 12.04 machines that I have running quagga
0.99.20.1[-0ubuntu0.12.04.3 ] seem to work perfectly fine with no losing
of the default route.  Their configuration:

root at linux# cat /etc/quagga/zebra.conf
hostname linux.example.com
password *****
enable password *****

root at linux# cat /etc/quagga/ospfd.conf
router ospf
network 10.75.22.0/24 area 0
redistribute connected
password ******
enable password *******

It's worth noting that while on the Ubuntu machine the default route
appears in the routing table as:

default via 10.75.22.253 dev eth0  proto zebra  metric 50

on the Fedora machine it appears as:

default via 10.75.22.253 dev p4p1  proto static  metric 1024

Also, when the default route is lost on the Fedora machine other routes
being advertised by "gw" are still intact with a proto of "zebra" so
this only appears to be affecting the default route.

When the Fedora machine does lose the default route, a simple restart of
zebra and ospfd restore it.

Any ideas on what might be going on here or what steps I can take to
debug it?

Cheers,
b.