[quagga-users 13898] Re: Which hardware to choose.

Thomas Martin tmartincpp at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 13:23:53 GMT 2015

Hi Alexis,

> On Jan 22, 2015, at 5:43 AM, Thomas Martin <tmartincpp at gmail.com> wrote:
>> So I was able to do a few tests (for 1Gb only); here are some details:
>> [...]
>
> To begin with, you should test your configuration with no router between the source and sink, although I think that in fact you can easily generate a full 1.5mpps with your existing config. Still, you really should prove that. When we first started testing, there was no netmap, and we were surprised by the effort it took.

My mistake, I forgot to mention this in my previous post: I already
did these tests.
I did them between PC1/router, PC2/router and PC1/PC2; all of them are
able to send around:
Speed: 1.38 Mpps Bandwidth: 664.69 Mbps (raw 930.56 Mbps)

I think that this is pretty good.

netmap seems to be a really great tool and I'm really, really, glad to
have it! Thanks to the devs !

> It is a mistake to doubt it. That is exactly what's going on. The primary reason you're doing better with one CPU is because of cache locality issues. You could fix most of that by ensuring that each packet is serviced by the same core both on receive and transmit... though I don't remember how we did that (perhaps as a consequence of setting the queues to be combined Rx/Tx, see below). Fortunately you don't need to.
>
> Instead, to achieve a full 1.5mpps on the i5, and maybe on the E5620 as well, all you need to do is install a better Ethernet card in the router. An Intel 82576 or better - definitely NOT the 82571. Then configure the multiqueue support on that chip so that each queue is affined to a different core (well, two per core on the i5, I guess), and each queue is for combined Rx/Tx. In fact, it may be that the default configuration does this properly these days.

I have planned to do some tests with an Intel 82599/X520; I will tell
you when it's done (for now I only have the 82571).

I will post the results here (probably in a week or two).

> You might also be able to get better results by configuring RPS/RSS better, but I can't say for sure.

I will take a look at this.

> /a

Once again, thanks a lot Alexis.

Thomas