[quagga-users 14012] Re: BGP Update messages

Alexis Rosen quagga-users at alexis.users.panix.com
Wed Jun 17 10:17:21 BST 2015

On Jun 17, 2015, at 2:54 AM, Torbjorn Tornkvist <kruskakli at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to understand when Update messages are issued.
>
> Specifically, when I change the Metric (MED) value in a route-map,
> no Update message seem to be generated unless I run: clear bgp <neighbor>
>
> So my question is: should an Update message be issued when the Metric value change ?

IIRC, route-map changes like this are not applied retroactively to existing routes. So the metric won't actually change when you change the route-map, and thus no update can/should be sent.

One might argue that there should be a better way to cause existing routes to be updated. Soft reconfig is a partial answer to that, though not a great one.

/a