[quagga-users 14224] Unnumbered interfaces not working.

Krist van Besien krist.vanbesien at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 17:02:09 GMT 2016

Hello,

I'm trying to get unnumbered PtP links working. Without success however...

Our situation: We run cumulus linux on switches. We run RHEL 7.2 on the
servers. We want to connect our servers redundantly to the switches, and
run ospf. This means running quagga on the server.

This works if we use x.x.x.x/30 networks for the PtP links between the
servers and the cumulus boxes, but keeping track of huge numbers of PtP
networks is not something we are looking forward to, so we would rather use
unnumbered PtP links.

We followed the usual recipes we found on the net, and got it to work
between cumulus linux boxes, but not between RHEL and cumulus boxes.

What seems to be missing is some configuration options that appear to be
valid on the quagga that cumulus runs, but not on the one that RHEL ships.

One problem I am running in to is that I can't set the "area": on an
interface. So for example on the cumulus box we have:

interface swp47
  ip ospf network point-to-point
  ip ospf area 0.0.2.3

on the RHEL box I would like to do the same thing for it's ptp interfaces,
but the "area"  command is not know. I have the impression that this is
what might be missing.

But why?

On Cumulus quagga is version 0.99.23.1
On RHEL it is 0.99.22.4
Is the older version on RHEL the reason? I would have thought not, as
unnumbered ptp links have been around for a while...

Any help towards getting this to work is appreciated.