[quagga-users 14419] Re: Quagga, BGP and BFD with Cisco

Tom Samplonius tom at samplonius.org
Thu Sep 1 03:12:21 BST 2016

> On Aug 31, 2016, at 6:14 PM, Nick Urbanik <nick.urbanik at optusnet.com.au> wrote:
>
> Dear Folks,
>
> I see that patches have been written some years ago supporting BFD
> with Juniper routers.
>
> Has anyone had any success testing Quagga with BFD + BGP with Cisco
> routers?  Or should I change to BIRD to use BFD with BGP and Cisco
> routers?  This is for using Cisco routers as load balancers with
> Quagga, local BGP, for DNS servers.
>
> Any suggestions most appreciated.

  First of all BFD on BGP sessions should be vendor agnostic.  There should be nothing Juniper or Cisco specific about it.

  Second, BFD has always been underwhelming on server platforms, like those that Quagga typically runs on.  Router vendors typically implement BFD in FPGA or custom silicon right in the forwarding plane.  I’m not aware of anyone that can do BFD in the control plane, and support BFD rates less than 100ms.

  And if you are using a true load balancer, why do you need the fast response time of BFD?  A load balancer will be doing health checks, and possibly looking at the response time of the reply traffic versus the request traffic, which would give you a much better view of whether DNS is working or not.  BFD in Quagga, would only tell you if Quagga is working, not DNS.