[quagga-users 14929] Re: Disable BGP general scanning, BGP SCAN-TIMER

Alexis Rosen quagga-users at alexis.users.panix.com
Thu Feb 15 20:21:06 GMT 2018

On Feb 15, 2018, at 8:29 AM, bg at it-mark.net wrote:
> But once every minute for about 3-10 seconds there is a "BGP general scanning", which is arbitrarily executed on any of the processor cores and loads it 100% within a specified time.
>
> 2018/02/14 18:40:41 BGP: Performing BGP general scanning
> 2018/02/14 18:40:42 BGP: scanning IPv4 Unicast routing tables
>
> Question:
>
> 1) Can I turn off (disable) "BGP general scanning" (command 'bgp scan-time <5-60>') ? Is this a good idea in my case ?

That seems unlikely to be a good idea.

> 2) Can I perform "BGP general scanning" on a specific processor core, not chaotic ?

IIRC, bgpd is entirely single-threaded. It should be trivial to bind it to a single core using taskset on Linux (or the equivalent, on another OS). You can do this while it's running, or you can start it that way - modify the rc file that starts quagga & bgpd (or whatever you're using to get it started on boot).

/a